Friday, July 27, 2007

the one with the proposal.

recently I was talking to a close friend of mine and I mentioned that I was proposed to in Ferran park.... she didn't know that... that is why I am telling this story.

A few days after my 24th birthday and a few days before Jason's 24th birthday I went to my parents house. My dad pulled me aside that day and told me that he really wanted to talk to me. He wanted to know what I thought Jason's intentions were... whether or not he wanted to get married. (You see.. we had been dating about 3 years, after 2 years he broke up with me for two months... then we got back together and he talked to my parents about that and assured them that he was sincere and such...anyway... I don't know, maybe because of that my dad thought he would make a move. We were both living on our own, working full time jobs... and seemed like we should do it.) I was very surprised that my dad would ask me about this... he basically told me that if Jason didn't propose soon, then I should move on. My mom was a little more blunt. 'If he doesn't propose before his birthday then I will threaten him with a shotgun.

I really was surprised at both of them. I definitely wanted to get married, but I wasn't into making threats. I also enjoyed living with Holly and I was ok. Of course after their talk I started to get nervous.. like.. is he going to ever ask me?

On June 24th, 2004 Jason called me... I was still at work, but was planning on going to the gym about an hour after I got off work (thats right, the gym. holly and I joined a gym for about a month or two. I never went back to the gym after 6/24/04) so, I had some time to kill. Jason was at the park reading. Please note: this was one of the most miserably hot days of that summer.. and I believed him that he was in the park reading... was I insane?

I get to the park and I saw that he was reading the catcher in the rye.. one of my favorite books. This was not the first time that he had read it. He asked me if I remember writing him notes in it.. (you see, I sometimes write notes on random pages of books so that when you read it, it would be a nice surprise) I didn't remember, but i flipped open the book and there it was.

Inside the book was a carved out heart. Inside the heart was a ring. I looked at him and he was down on both knees and asked me there.

I said yes.

Where did I go first? my office.

then we went to my parents house where my mom had about 15 bridal magazines waiting for me. 100 days later, we were married.

Random Facts:

Ferran park was where we decided that we liked each other.

The bench that I was sitting on was the same bench that I sat on almost every day that we were broken up....that is where I wrote in my journal

Dawn was in europe at the time and on the same day jason proposed to me, adam proposed to her.

The date of our wedding was in the proposal.

I was wearing a mae is for lovers shirt.

I don't know what happened to that shirt!

thats it.
~smb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i feel that the random facts make the story ultimately the best story ever in the history of the world.